All body shapes are different and all bodies are beautiful
— but, for the sake of fashion, experts are able to identify five common women’s body shapes that you’ve probably heard of before: apple, pear, ruler (also called rectangle), hourglass and inverted triangle.
But what does it mean to be compared to a round, juicy fruit or a mathematics tool? Not a whole lot unless you know exactly how to find your shape and which fashion choices will bring out your beauty.
Celebrity stylist Corey Roché offers the simplest explanations for each body shape so you can finally figure out what all of this means — as well as 10 wardrobe essentials for each shape.
Image: Karen Cox/SheKnows
Celebrity apple shapes: Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Hudson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Tyra Banks
How to tell if you’re an apple: “Your shoulders and hips are around the same size,” Roché says. “Apple-shaped ladies have little difference between the measurements of their chest, waist and hips.. You as an apple-shaped girl have chest and waist measurements that are fairly close, but your hips are about six inches smaller than your chest.”
Apple body shape traits:
- Hips and shoulders have the same width; waistline has the same width or is wider.
- You gain weight mainly around the waist, at least in proportion to the other parts of your body.
- You probably have slender lower legs and arms.
- Your high hip is wider than your lower hip.
- Your bust and/or midriff are larger than your hips.
- You might be short-waisted.
- Your thighs or hips are probably the narrowest part of your body.